Registering your Products with Health Canada
If you sell cosmetics in Canada DO NOT skip this step!
Congratulations! You have decided to start your very own Cosmetic Brand! While this is a very exciting time, we at Pravada also understand how overwhelming it can be to make sure you have all your ducks in a row. We are here to help! One of the most crucial steps once you have finalized your product, packaging and label design is to complete the Health Canada Cosmetic Notification Forms (CNF). If you've found yourself staring blankly at the Health Canada website, then this article is for you.
Step 1. Research & learn about Canadian cosmetic regulations
There is a wealth of information to help you learn more about Cosmetic Safety, Cosmetic Advertising and Labelling Claims and filling out your Cosmetic Notification Forms on the Health Canada website. Before sitting down to start, familiarize yourself with the Cosmetic Notification Form. Don't be afraid to ask questions! You can contact Health Canada if you don’t understand something and they are very helpful.
Step 2. Get organised BEFORE starting
Before you jump right into filling out your Cosmetic Notification Forms, compile all of the required information. This includes the following;
- Brand and name of the product
- Anticipated/ Actual first date of sale for each product
- Contact information of the notifier
- Contact information of the manufacturer
- Product information: area of application, form, function, ingredients and their concentrations (ask Pravada for range codes)
A PDF copy of your label designs that shows the ingredient listings
Step 3. Complete the online CNF for Health Canada
Schedule yourself some time to fill out your Cosmetic Notification Forms. If you've taken the time to prepare before you tackle the online web form, it should streamline the process. Don’t worry if you get interrupted, you can save the form and return to it later. Make sure you have entered your contact information, ingredients and percentages correctly.
Pro tip: If you sell multiple products with different fragrances, you only need to fill out one CNF.
Once you have completed and submitted your CNF, make sure to save it using the instructions on the bottom of the form. You can review your submission or make amendments if needed. Did you notice a mistake after you hit submit? Just upload the saved web form, make your changes, and then resubmit!
Changes to your Products
According to the Canadian Cosmetic Regulation, you must submit an amended CNF to notify Health Canada whenever there are changes made to a product such as;
- Changes in the cosmetic formulation
- Product name change
- Discontinued Products
- New contact information, new company name or address.
Items to Note
- You must complete your forms and notify Health Canada within 10 days after they first sell a cosmetic in Canada.
- Don't think that as a small operation you are excluded.
- If your products are not notified, they may be denied entry into Canada or removed from sale.
- Once you submit your CNF you will receive and automated e-mail with an assigned a unique Cosmetic Number for each product registered.
Cosmetic product registration process differs from country to country. Therefore, it is important to be aware of all the differences and to be well-acquainted with the cosmetic regulation of the relevant country. Knowing the necessary legal requirements is crucial in order to achieve product compliance and successfully register your products.
(Not in Canada? Here's help with USA Cosmetics Guidance & Regulations https://www.fda.gov/cosmetics/cosmetics-guidance-regulation .)Still find this process daunting? Pravada is here to make your life easier. Ask your Sales Representative for more information regarding this service.